Binghamton Outdoor Movies

Reserve your date today! Call 877-260-2411

Movie Licensing Information

Rochester Outdoor Movies is committed to providing the absolute best outdoor movie experience possible. We have posted this information to help our customers understand the legalities of having an outdoor movie event. Here are here to assist you in any way possible so please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns at 877-260-2411

The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the U.S. Code) governs how copyrighted materials, such as movies, may be used. Neither the rental nor the purchase of a movie carries with it the right to show the movie outside the home. In some instances no license is required to view a movie, such as inside the home by family or social acquaintances and in certain narrowly defined face-to-face teaching activities. Taverns, restaurants, private clubs, prisons, lodges, factories, summer camps, public libraries, daycare facilities, parks and recreation departments, churches and non-classroom use at schools and universities are all examples of situations where a public performance license must be obtained. This legal requirement applies regardless of whether an admission fee is charged, whether the institution or organization is commercial or non-profit, or whether a federal or state agency is involved.

Legal Sanctions

"Willful" infringement for commercial or financial gain is a federal crime carrying a maximum sentence of up to five years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine. Civil damages for willful infringement may be as high as $150,000 per work, and even inadvertent infringers are subject to substantial civil damages, ranging from $750 to $30,000 for each work illegally shown. The MPAA and its member companies are dedicated to stopping film and video piracy in all its forms, including unauthorized public performances. The motion picture companies will go to court to ensure their copyrights are not violated. For example, lawsuits have been filed against cruise ships and bus companies for unauthorized on-board exhibitions. If you are uncertain about your responsibilities under the copyright law, contact the MPAA, firms that handle public performance licenses or the studios directly. Avoid the possibility of punitive action.

To Obtain a Public Performance License

In other specialized markets, such as hotels and motels, many Hollywood studios may handle licensing arrangements directly. Our representatives will assist you in obtaining a license. All movie licensing must originate from the client. We have all the proper request forms and will be more than happy to help you fill them out correctly and process them.

Contact one of our representatives today at 877-260-2411.